As a senior associate in Cooper Grace Ward’s property, planning and environment team, Kathryn provides clients with outstanding service and advice, specialising in planning, environment and related land use matters.
Prior to joining the team at Cooper Grace Ward, Kathryn worked with some of Queensland’s leading planning and environment lawyers, gaining invaluable experience representing and advising developers and local authorities on a broad range of matters under the Planning Act 2016 (and previous planning legislation).
Since joining Cooper Grace Ward, Kathryn has expanded her planning and environment experience to include instructing counsel in various Planning and Environment Court appeals and declaratory proceedings as well as advising clients on compulsory acquisition, environmental licensing and offences, land valuation, cultural heritage and petroleum and resource matters.
Planning and environment
- Representing developers, local authorities and submitters in appeals and declaratory proceedings under the Sustainable Planning Act 2009 and the Planning Act 2016.
- Appearing in the Planning and Environment Court on a broad range of appeals and declaratory proceedings.
- Instructing counsel in a variety of Planning and Environment Court and Court of Appeal matters.
- Managing the day-to-day responsibilities of litigation matters for developers, local authorities and submitters.
- Dispute resolution, including representing clients in without prejudice conferences.
- Advising on a range of complex legal matters including vegetation management, environmental enforcement proceedings, infrastructure charges, the provision of trunk and non-trunk infrastructure, environmental offsets, lawful land uses and differential general ratings.
- Drafting legislation and policy submissions on behalf of developers and local authorities.
Compulsory acquisition and valuations
- Advising landowners on compulsory acquisitions under the Acquisition of Land Act 1967.
- Advising and preparing valuation claims to the State of Queensland on behalf of landowners.
Other commercial experience
- Advising landholders in relation to land access agreements associated with prospecting and extraction activities for petroleum, gas and mineral resources.
- Advising on cultural heritage agreements and associated matters.
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons) – University of Queensland
- Bachelor of Environmental Management (Sustainable Development) (Hons) – University of Queensland
- Solicitor – Supreme Court of Queensland
- Solicitor – High Court of Australia
- Member – Queensland Law Society
- Member – Queensland Environmental Law Association