Cooper Grace Ward is committed to the sustainability of our team, our community and our environment. We have a history of working in close and active partnership with our community to help share the benefits of our knowledge and success. The sustainability of our environment and our community are at the core of our business and we embrace the opportunities they provide to develop our team.
As part of our commitment to our community, Cooper Grace Ward supports community programs that enhance and improve welfare, environmental projects or medical research.
In addition to firm led community initiatives, we support our team to participate in charitable activities and fundraising throughout the year.
Pro bono services
We have a strong commitment to delivering pro bono legal services. We are a member of LawRight, which provides us with the opportunity to contribute to pro bono legal services for disadvantaged members of the community. We also provide pro bono legal services including business structuring and general legal advice to not-for-profit organisations.
In addition, our lawyers contribute their time to various committees within professional bodies, industry associations and educational institutions at no cost, as well as providing lectures and other educational presentations to these organisations. We also have several lawyers who assist in free legal clinics for homeless people and disadvantaged members of our community.
Corporate sustainability is embedded in the way we do business at Cooper Grace Ward and we are committed to reducing our environmental footprint. We have been recognised for our efforts in reducing resource consumption and increasing the amount of recycling we do as a firm, and we participate in major environmental initiatives including Clean Up Australia Day and Earth Hour.
Below are some of the actions we have taken to reduce Cooper Grace Ward’s environmental footprint:
- implementing an environmental sustainability policy, which includes our sustainable purchasing policy
- reviewing our stationery supplies, to ensure a reduction of the range carried and an increase in the proportion of environmentally friendly products stocked, including the use of carbon neutral office paper
- reviewing our printing practices, paper usage and power usage of multi-function devices (printers and copiers)
- including environmental sustainability in our team induction program and providing regular sustainability updates to all team members
- including corporate social responsibility as an area for performance targets in all workgroup business plans
- choosing a Five Star Green Star designed building at 400 George Street where we have operated since October 2009
- supporting the North Quay Revegetation Project from 2011 to 2017 which saw our team working with the Brisbane City Council to revegetate and provide ongoing maintenance to land fringing the North Quay bikeway/walkway
- reducing our landfill waste by providing full recycling facilities at work, including for food scraps, coffee cups, e-waste, books and general office waste
- reducing the number of office vending machines by half
- supporting Brisbane’s CityCycle program.