Log on: 12.15pm
The recent federal election has yielded us a change in government and with that we can expect to see changes to current workplace relations laws. As an employer, anticipating changes to workplace relations laws is critical to protecting your business and its employees.
Our upcoming HR Forum will provide employers and HR professionals with practical strategies and tips for dealing with potential changes to workplace relations laws following the Australian Labor Party’s win.
The Forum will also delve into company restructuring and employee termination options. This is becoming a hot topic for us as many businesses are restructuring or are in the process of looking to restructure as a result of the pandemic.
Speakers include lawyer Megan Cheng and partner Annie Smeaton.
The Forum will cover:
Potential changes to workplace relations laws
- introduction of a criminal offence for ‘wage theft’ across Australia
- amending the definition of ‘casual employee’ in the Fair Work Act to restore the common law definition
- implementing all recommendations from the Respect@Work Report
- prioritising secure work for workers, including through a portable entitlement scheme, limiting fixed-term contracts and more
Restructure and termination options and managing post-termination risks
- the benefits and risks of redundancies, stand downs and variations
- potential post-termination claims by employees
- best practice for preventing claims and managing post-termination risks
- answers to frequently asked questions by employers