Family owned businesses account for approximately 70% of all Australian businesses, employing over 50% of our country’s workforce. Often incorrectly assumed to be ‘mum and dad’ or ‘work from home’ businesses, many of Australia’s largest and well-known brands are highly successful family owned businesses.
Our team understands that families in business face different pressure points to other businesses. Our specialist family business lawyers are well versed in the opportunities and issues that the interplay of the three systems of family, business and ownership can create throughout the life of a family business.
Our family business lawyers regularly travel to meet with clients and their advisers throughout Queensland and interstate to ensure high quality, personalised service.
We are proud of our involvement with Family Business Australia (FBA) (Qld Chapter) over the last eight years. Two of our lawyers in this area, Scott Hay-Bartlem and Lara Dawson, are both FBA accredited advisers.
The major services we offer to family business clients include:
- business succession
- stakeholder agreements
- structuring including asset protection and entity establishment
- commercial advice on, and preparation of, business contracts such as terms of trade and supply agreements
- business sales and purchases
- workplace relations and safety advice
- property advice, including property purchases, leasing and sales
- intellectual property advice and protection strategies
- compliance including trade practices and workplace health and safety compliance
- tax, duty and GST advice
- litigation and dispute resolution
- family law.
For advice on family business concerns, phone (07) 3231 2444.