Five minutes with Hayley Mitchell03 May 2016 Topics:
Hayley Mitchell, associate in our commercial team, has worked with Cooper Grace Ward for almost 9 months. We asked her to tell us in her own words what life at Cooper Grace Ward is like, and a few of her past experiences and favourite things.
1. What made you decide to become a lawyer?
I felt the commerce degree (at 3 years) was not long enough for me to decide what I wanted to do in the real world, so at the last minute I made it a combined commerce and law degree.
I preferred the law degree, so I decided to give the lawyer thing a shot.
2. How long have you worked at Cooper Grace Ward for and what brought you to that position?
Almost 9 months.
An interstate move from Tasmania to the Sunshine State.
During the interview process it was the emphasis on a team based approach that convinced me I would be making the right choice in accepting a position, and that has proved to be correct.
3. If you could invite three people for dinner, dead or alive who would they be and why?
David Bowie – for the music selection, Russell Brand – for the conversation/entertainment (or maybe Kevin McCloud), and a chef (any chef) – for the food (I don’t cook!)
4. Where’s the best place to go for a drink or dinner after work?
Having been in Brisbane for under 12 months, I’m still getting to know the city.
Maker bar in Fish Lane on the south side make pretty impressive cocktails, and LONgTIME in the Valley also have great cocktails, and great Thai food.
5. What’s the best advice you’ve ever been given?
Blue and green must never be seen without another colour in between.
6. Do you have any hobbies/interests outside of work?
Yoga, shopping, travel and aesthetics.
7. Complete this sentence: If I wasn’t a lawyer, I would be…
I’d like to study a history topic – something obscure that no one can contemplate why anyone needs to know so much about one topic.
8. What do you think will be single biggest issue facing the legal space in Australia in 2016?
I’d like it to be marriage equality.
9. What do you love about your job?
10. Something you might not know about me is that …
I don’t like bananas, but I like banana bread.