Five minutes with Linda Tapiolas05 May 2015 Topics: Tax and revenue, Superannuation, Trusts, Middle market enterprises (MME), Family business, Professional advisers
Linda Tapiolas, partner in our commercial team, shares some insights into life at Cooper Grace Ward, her past experiences and predictions for the upcoming year.
1. What made you decide to become a lawyer?
In my previous life I was an accountant and did a lot of restructuring advice. I became a lawyer because I wanted to be part of making the restructure actually happen and not just advising on it. Also, I grew up watching LA Law and loved Arnie.
2. How long have you worked at Cooper Grace Ward for and what brought you to that position?
I have worked at Cooper Grace Ward Lawyers for eight years. When I moved to Brisbane eight years ago I needed to make a decision as to whether to further my career as an accountant or move into law.
3. If you could invite three people for dinner, dead or alive who would they be and why?
Bryce Courtney because I am a big fan of most of his books and I cried all through reading April Fools Day, which was about his son who was a haemophiliac and contracted aids (and later died) from a blood transfusion.
Peter Ritchie, who brought McDonalds to Australia. I once had the pleasure of hearing him speak about his achievements with bringing McDonalds to Australia but unfortunately the negative effect this had on his family life.
Julia Gillard – her speech after losing the leadership was moving.
4. You’re from Brisbane – where’s the best place to go for a drink and/or dinner after work?
For dinner in the city you cannot beat E’cco Bistro.
5. What’s the best advice you’ve ever been given?
My mother once told me that you need to ensure that you work hard to get what you want because those who just ask for things do not always get them.
6. Do you have any hobbies/interests outside of work?
I love going to my parents’ property and working with the cattle and watching my dogs run, swim and get into trouble for chasing cows.
7. Complete this sentence: If I wasn’t a lawyer, I would be…
Playing with the cows and dogs.
8. What do you think will be single biggest issue facing the legal space in Australia in 2015?
Continuing to meet client expectations and keeping up with changes in legislation.
9. What do you love about your job?
The team at CGW. We work closely together to ensure that clients get the best service. Our team are extremely good at their jobs and good value.
10. Something you might not know about me is that …
I am more at home in the country than the city, and I like cows and dogs.