Five minutes with Laura Gahan29 March 2017 Topics:
Laura Gahan, senior associate in our property, planning and environment team, has worked with Cooper Grace Ward for 14 years. We asked her to tell us in her own words what life at Cooper Grace Ward is like, and a few of her past experiences and favourite things.
1. What made you decide to become a lawyer?
I love challenges, problem solving and project managing. The law allows me to do all three on a daily basis.
2. How long have you worked at Cooper Grace Ward and what brought you to that position?
I have been with CGW for 14 years. I started as a second year law student, initially working in our banking and finance team before moving into our property team about 12 years ago. My values and the Firm’s values very much align and I enjoy working with our clients and the CGW team.
3. If you could invite three people for dinner, dead or alive, who would they be and why?
‘Adam’ – I need to know…was it a red delicious or a granny smith?
Dylan Moran – I think he is the funniest person on earth.
Keith Richards – fabulous raconteur plus (hopefully) he’d play some music and pick up the tab at the end of the night.
4. Where’s the best place to go for a drink or dinner after work?
Factory 51 at Coorparoo has a great drinks list and share plates.
5. What’s the best advice you’ve ever been given?
As I am a bit of a sports enthusiast, the legendary Vince Lombardi’s view on quality has always stuck with me:
Quality is not a product; it is a state of mind – a way of thinking, doing and being. The quality of a person’s life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavour.
I think that applies professionally and personally.
6. Do you have any hobbies/interests outside of work?
I dedicate my out of work time to my beautiful family and friends. I love enjoying this beautiful part of the world with them – be that popping over to Straddie, hosting a barbecue or going for a Sunday drive.
7. Complete this sentence: If I wasn’t a lawyer, I would be…
… a doctor (although my science grades at high school would not have supported that endeavour).
8. What do you think will be single biggest issue facing the legal space in Australia in 2017?
The challenge to continually innovate to deliver quality advice in our 24/7 world
9. What do you love about your job?
Partnering with a client to deliver a key strategic goal and implementing the associated changes in their business is a great privilege and thrill.
10. Something you might not know about me is that…
… (and something I did not know about me until recently) I bought a 4WD a year ago… since buying it we have explored some great spots in SEQ…and had an absolute ball with our 5 year old daughter. If you had told me five years ago I would enjoy camping, driving over sand dunes and even getting bogged at the beach, I would have laughed. So who knows what I will be up to in another five years …