Not so long ago, disputes involving self-managed superannuation funds were tipped to become the new frontier of estate disputes. However, no one could have predicted just how frequent these disputes would become.
In addition to the increasing number of disputes involving death benefit payments, we have recently seen a number of disagreements between members and trustees about the administration of their funds. Common contentious areas include:
- members getting access to financial statements and other documents of the fund (where one trustee assumes control of the fund and then refuses to disclose information to the other trustees and members)
- rolling out benefits when the trustees don’t get along
- trustees not acting in the best interest of all the members.
In this webinar, we will discuss some of our recent files involving self-managed superannuation funds so that you can:
- take steps at the planning stage to minimise the chances of a dispute occurring down the track
- be aware of the types of arguments and disputes that can arise between members and trustees.
We will also provide some examples, drawn from our files as well as recent cases, of death benefit payment disputes and we will discuss how these could have been resolved with proper planning.