Termination of employment can be a minefield of complex processes and statutory requirements from both an employment law and a taxation perspective. Advisers in particular play a significant role in ensuring that their clients meet all their legal obligations in each particular termination scenario. Likewise, employers should also ensure that they are well versed in the legal and taxation requirements and implications in the absence of a trusted adviser.
In this in-depth, practical discussion, partner Belinda Winter and special counsel Rosalie Cattermole outline the legal requirements and considerations required of all employers when terminating an employee and provide practical case studies for review that provide a clearer understanding of the relevant legal, taxation and superannuation implications.
Belinda and Rosalie cover:
- termination by way of redundancy – the important distinction between employment law and taxation law
- understanding the rules of Employment Termination Payments (ETPs)
- what to do when an employee’s representative seeks a termination payment by way of general damages (tax free)
- special considerations when terminating a contractor who is more likely an employee at law
- tips on how to add value to your client’s/your current processes to ensure compliance and avoid legal implications.
Who will benefit from this webinar?
This webinar is highly recommended for:
- employers, including HR professionals and senior executives
- accountants and other advisers who assist clients in financial matters relating to termination of employees.