The employment landscape has continued to change significantly during 2021. Following the decision of the High Court, employers finally have clarity regarding who is a casual employee. In the wake of significant political pressure for change and the Respect@Work report, we have seen amendments to legislation that provide further protections against sexual harassment in the workplace. COVID-19 continues to plague businesses and the country. We are told vaccination is the key to reducing the impact of COVID-19 and ending lockdowns, but can you mandate that your employees get vaccinated?
The topics of discussion will include:
- Who is a casual employee in 2021 – updates to the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth), Modern Awards and a review of the High Court’s decision in Workpac v Rossato.
- Respect@Work and a zero tolerance policy of sexual harassment – we will provide a brief overview of the findings of the Respect@Work report and what the recent legislative changes are and what it will mean for your business.
- Mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations – we have seen a number of employers, including SPC, Qantas and Queensland Health, mandate the COVID-19 vaccine for certain or all employees. We will discuss the legality of mandating the vaccine and what you can do to ensure the safety of your workforce without falling foul of the law.
- What needs to be considered in the areas of workplace privacy, discrimination and potential stand down of employees following the rollout of the COVID-19 vaccine?
- Mental health – following R U OK? Day, we will provide you with some practical tips regarding how you can work toward a mentally happy, healthy and productive workforce.