Sandra provides strategic advice, assistance and representation to employers with regard to all aspects of employment, industrial relations and safety. As a senior associate in Cooper Grace Ward’s workplace relations and safety team, Sandra advises a range of clients across various industries on issues such as compliance and duties under workplace health and safety legislation; unlawful discrimination and sexual harassment; the operation of employment contracts and restraint of trade provisions; award and enterprise agreement applicability, interpretation and provisions; dismissal risks and strategies; management of ill and injured employees; workers’ compensation claims; and general protections claims.
Sandra has extensive experience with conducting workplace investigations, defending unfair and unlawful dismissal and general protections claims, workers’ compensation, advising workplaces on compliance for workplace health and safety and defending unlawful discrimination and harassment matters.
Sandra speaks at conferences and webinars and is a regular contributor to legal publications. Sandra also assists in the provision of training sessions on employment law topics.
- Bachelor of Laws – Queensland University of Technology
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice – Queensland University of Technology
- Solicitor – Supreme Court of Queensland
- Member – Industrial Relations Society of Queensland
- Committee Member – Queensland Law Society Industrial Law Committee.
- Undertaking workplace investigations for clients concerning allegations of harassment, bullying and other employee misconduct
- Providing clients with advice and representation in response to unfair dismissal and general protections claims
- Drafting and assisting clients with the implementation of employment contracts, contractor agreements, policies and other employment documents
- Assisting clients in relation to industrial activity, right of entry and other disputes
- Advising clients in relation to risks of discrimination or adverse action claims and defending claims when they arise
- Providing clients with advice in relation to the termination of employees, including redundancy and disciplinary matters
- Providing strategic advice to clients on a range of workplace health and safety and compliance matters
- Providing complex award interpretation and rostering arrangements in various awards, including Manufacturing, Mining, Black Coal Mining, gas and energy resources
- Providing advice to clients on casual employment arrangements and the engagement of casual employees
- Assisting a road transport client in litigation in the Road Safety Remuneration Tribunal and Federal Court
- Assisting a client in defending discrimination proceedings in the Anti-Discrimination Commission Queensland and the Queensland Industrial Relations Commission
- Assisting a client in bringing discrimination proceedings on the basis of sex in the Australian Human Rights Commission and the Federal Court.