As a senior associate in Cooper Grace Ward’s property, planning and environment team, Leanne brings 12 years’ experience, including nine years as a solicitor representing the State of Queensland in negotiations and litigation across a number of forums. Whilst with government, Leanne held several senior legal roles in government and provided high level advice and representation in land and resources sector law.
Leanne advises on land access and tenure management, planning and development approvals and appeals under the Sustainable Planning Act 2009, compulsory acquisition and valuation law (including objections and appeals in the Land Court), environmental compliance, vegetation and water management applications and approvals, environmental offsets, native title and cultural heritage, and landholder access and compensation agreements for petroleum and resources.
Leanne has also been involved in numerous compulsory acquisitions, and represents landholders in resolving issues in relation to compulsory acquisition of land.
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) – University of Queensland
- Bachelor of Laws – University of Queensland
- Graduate Diploma of Professional Legal Education and Training – University of Queensland
- Solicitor – Supreme Court of Queensland, High Court of Australia
- Member – QELA (Queensland Environmental Law Association)
- Member – QLS (Queensland Law Society) Mining and Resources Law Committee
Petroleum and resources
- Advising the State of Queensland whilst with government and since working with Cooper Grace Ward Lawyers regarding the regulatory regime and land access code requirements.
- Representing and advising the State of Queensland regarding due process, regulatory compliance, appeals and objections to grant of tenements.
- Advising on compliance with mining and petroleum grants and authorities.
- Advising landholders in relation to land access agreements associated with prospecting and extraction activities for petroleum, gas and mineral resources.
Compulsory acquisitions and valuations
- Advising on compulsory acquisitions, including process issues.
- Negotiating compensation agreements on behalf of landholders with resuming authorities for significant and minor public infrastructure.
- Providing advice and representation on objections and appeals.
- Representing the State in over 448 commercial valuation appeals in the Land Court under the Valuation of Land Act 1944 (Qld).
- Advising the State of Queensland and private clients in relation to objections to statutory valuations.
Planning and environment
- Responsible for the coordination and management of over 100 planning and environment appeals in the Planning and Environment Court, to which the State was a party.
- Management of 20 regulatory compliance appeals and prosecutions in the Land Court and Magistrates Court for vegetation and water offences.
- Advising and representing clients in relation to show cause notices and other compliance matters under the Sustainable Planning Act 2009 and the Environmental Protection Act 1994.
- Advising on vegetation management obligations, including clearing obligations sitting outside a development approval, such as under the Nature Conservation Act 1992.
- Environmental law (enforcement proceedings and show cause notices, environmental authorities and permits required to undertake certain activities).
Native title and cultural heritage
- Negotiating and drafting cultural heritage agreements.
- Advising government, developers and land owners on complying with native title requirements and on the impact of claims for determination of native title.
- Representing the State of Queensland in the National Native Title Tribunal.
- Representing the State in Indigenous Land Use Agreement negotiations.
- Advising on complex native title issues.
- Advising in relation to native title implications in amending legislation.
- Participating in a number of native title and cultural heritage advisory panels to the State of Queensland.
Land access and tenure management
- Providing advice and representation regarding water entitlements, allocations and licences, including applications and appeals.
- Advising on leasing and leasing disputes, especially where unique environmental and other issues arise, e.g marinas and laboratories.
- Advising on management obligations on State land and conservation land, including bush fire management obligations, conservation agreements and land use within waterways as specified by a range of legislation.
- Advising on obligations for landholders and occupiers under the Building Act 1975 (both residential and commercial), including Certificates of Classification.
- Advising on the Land Act 1994, including land tenure and use, pastoral holdings, wet leases and dry leases, conversion applications and disputes under leases under the Land Act.
- Advising in relation to environmental offsets including contractual arrangements, management obligations, agreements and compliance