Kara is a senior associate in Cooper Grace Ward’s insurance team, with nearly 10 years’ experience in both litigation and personal injuries. Kara is a Queensland Law Society Accredited Specialist in personal injuries law, with a special interest in workers’ compensation claims.
Kara has a wealth of experience in both managing insurance claims and advising on insurance matters. She has experience in all levels of workers’ compensation, including advising on statutory entitlement issues, claims investigation, preparation of reasons for decision, and appeals work, through to common law litigation.
Kara currently acts for WorkCover Queensland and major self-insured companies, acting as advocate, and defending common law claims for damages.
Kara has special experience and interest in pure psychological injury claims, and claims involving multiple parties across various personal injuries regimes in Queensland. Her previous experience acting for plaintiffs ensures Kara brings a balanced view to insurance litigation, which assists her to meet client expectations and recognize and advocate for satisfactory outcomes. Her experience also includes a period working as an in-house solicitor for WorkCover Queensland.
- Accredited Specialist, Personal Injuries Law
- Bachelor of Laws – Queensland University of Technology
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice – College of Law
- Solicitor – Supreme Court of Queensland, High Court of Australia
- Member – Australian Lawyers Alliance
- Member – Queensland Law Society
- Council Member – Queensland Law Society 2016
- Acting as advocate for insurance companies, including providing timely legal advice in order to ensure the best possible outcomes.
- Advising in relation to catastrophic injury claims and entitlements with respect to the provision of rehabilitation and formulating damages.
- Advising on complex litigation involving multiple parties across both workers’ compensation and public liability matters.
- Previously acting as advocate for plaintiffs in a range of matters, including general personal injuries as well as professional negligence and product liability.
- Advising insurance companies in relation to matters involving fraud, contractual indemnity and jurisdictional issues in a previous role as an in-house legal adviser.
- Advising and preparing for insurers and self-insurers statutory decisions in relation to entitlement, including complex psychological injury claim decisions.
- Advising insurers in relation to statutory reviews and appeals.
- In addition to general insurance litigation, Kara has also worked with Queensland Public Interest Law Clearing House (QPILCH) to provide access to legal advice to disadvantaged women, including advising in relation to a broad range of matters such as residential tenancy, domestic violence and debt recovery.