Having practised exclusively in family law for 19 years, Justine has extensive experience in all aspects of family law – children’s arrangements and parenting matters (including surrogacy), property settlement and spousal maintenance issues for both married and de facto couples, binding financial agreements and their international counterparts, together with child support and child maintenance trusts.
An accredited specialist for more than a decade, Justine regularly presents at industry and professional education seminars for a range of bodies, including the Queensland Law Society, the Taxation Institute of Australia and Surrogacy Australia.
- Bachelor of Laws – University of Queensland
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice – Queensland University of Technology
- Solicitor – Supreme Court of Queensland
- Family Law Accredited Specialist – Queensland Law Society
- Member – Family Law Practitioners Association
- Member – Family Law Section of the Family Law Council of Australia
- Member – Collaborative Law Group
- Listed since 2014 as a ‘leading’ Family & Divorce Lawyer – Brisbane 2016 in Doyle’s Guide
- Representing clients in respect of children’s matters involving disputes about the interpretation of shared care under the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth).
- Assisting clients to address unwelcome recommendations in a family report about their children’s arrangements and other issues that may affect parenting matters, such as mental illness, alcohol or drug dependency or parental alienation.
- Representing grandparents and other relatives or carers (for example former spouses, partners or sperm donors) to secure time with children (including on the death of one or both biological parents).
- Advising on a property settlement matter with assets worth in the order of $100 million across four countries, where both disclosure and value were in issue.
- Advising high net wealth individuals in respect of both property settlement and pre-nuptial agreements in the context of the changing family law principles regarding ‘special’ or entrepreneurial’ contributions in matters with asset pools of between $12 and $200 million.
- Advising spouses and in other cases their parents or grandparents who generated the wealth in respect of contested property matters, financial agreements and asset protection as to the inclusion of family wealth held in trusts or companies.
- Negotiating and drafting financial agreements in a matter with an asset pool in excess of $500 million.
- Negotiating and drafting financial agreements for clients who, for example, simply wish to protect one asset, an inheritance or a business by way of a comparatively straight-forward document.
- Negotiating and drafting court orders which affected a property settlement and business restructure with third parties in a manner which secured all the available tax and duty concessions; protecting a family dynasty valued at more than $600 million.
- Establishing child maintenance trusts for clients to allow them to meet their child support and spousal maintenance obligations in the most tax effective manner.
- Advising clients on the interaction between their relationship agreements and their estate planning, business structuring and asset protection strategies.
WHAT OTHERS SAY
There is only one lawyer I would ever recommend, hence Justine remains top of mind for me…Family law referrer