Gillian has practised in the transport sector for almost 25 years. She acts for a wide variety of transport and logistics clients and transport industry associations across all jurisdictions, including road transport operators, warehouse operators, tow operators, freight forwarders and companies involved in plant hire. In addition, Gillian acts for insurers and insurance brokers involved in the heavy vehicle industry.
Her practice involves assisting transport clients in relation to all aspects of their businesses, including negotiating contracts with clients, agents, suppliers and subcontractors and assisting with tender submissions. She also regularly provides advice in relation to liens, container detention, chain of responsibility issues and dangerous goods legislation.
She also advises insurers and insurance brokers in the transport sector in relation to indemnity issues, issues of double insurance and has assisted in the drafting of policy wordings for load and liability insurance. She also regularly conducts recovery/subrogation actions on behalf of insurers.
Gillian has published articles in the National Law Review, Macarthur Law Review and the Australian Business Law Review dealing with transport law. She has also lectured in maritime law for the Marine and Shipping Law Unit at the University of Queensland and has tutored in commercial law and torts law at Queensland University of Technology. Gillian has a close relationship with a number of insurance broking firms (particularly with those brokers involved in the heavy transport industry) and with the Council of Queensland Insurance Brokers (CQIB). She has also prepared legal updates specifically for distribution to members of CQIB and has conducted seminars throughout Queensland for CQIB.
Gillian regularly presents at conferences and seminars on current legal issues. These include chain of responsibility legislation, unfair contracts legislation and transport industry contracts. Gillian prepared the transport industry contract checklist that is published by the Australian Trucking Association for its members. She also acted for NatRoad in various proceedings before the Road Safety Remuneration Tribunal and the Federal Court in relation to the 2016 Road Safety Remuneration Tribunal Order.
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours & University Medal) – University of Queensland
- Master of Laws – Queensland University of Technology
- Solicitor – Supreme Court of Queensland and High Court of Australia
- Member – Maritime Law Association of Australia and New Zealand
- Member – Women in Insurance
- Associate member – Council of Queensland Insurance Brokers
- Member – Australian Insurance Law Association (Queensland)
- Member – Women’s International Shipping and Trading Association
- Advising insurers and insurance brokers in the heavy transport and logistics sector in relation to coverage and indemnity issues and issues of double insurance.
- Drafting of policy wordings for load and liability insurance.
- Conducting recovery/subrogation actions on behalf of insurers.
- Assisting transport and logistics clients in relation to all aspects of their businesses including negotiating contracts with clients, agents, suppliers and subcontractors and assisting with tender submissions.
- Advising in relation to liens, container detention, dangerous goods legislation and the sale and purchase of transport businesses.
- Acting on behalf of cargo owners in legal proceedings against shipping lines.
- Litigating disputes in relation to supply of heavy vehicles and machinery.
- Litigating claims in relation to damage to goods in transit and damage to vehicles, plant and heavy machinery including claims for demurrage and loss of profits.
- Advising on issues relevant to the operation of warehousing facilities.