Emma is an associate in Cooper Grace Ward’s litigation and dispute resolution team and has represented and assisted a diverse range of clients, including a number of large corporations, in a wide variety of disputes.
Emma has particular expertise in commercial litigation matters, including high volume debt recovery matters, insolvency, liquidations and winding up, technical commercial insurance disputes, negligence actions and contractual disputes.
Overall, Emma’s primary goal is to achieve commercial, practical and early resolutions of disputes for all of her clients.
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours) – Queensland University of Technology
- Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice – College of Law
- Member – Queensland Law Society
- Solicitor – Supreme Court of Queensland and High Court of Australia
Commercial litigation/ insurance
- Acting for and advising a major insurer during the Queensland floods disaster throughout 2011 and 2012, including, assisting and representing the insurer in the Queensland Floods Commission of Inquiry.
- Acting for an insurer exercising its subrogation rights on behalf of its insureds in recovery litigation worth in excess of $2 million dollars in the Supreme Court of Queensland.
- Acting for a leading provider of banking, financial and investment services in complex financial investment litigation in the Supreme Court of Queensland.
- Assisting and advising a major insurer in relation to a large-scale multimillion dollar project involving a complete review and redevelopment of a major part of its claims division.
- Acting for a specialist recruitment firm in the IT and mining industry in a contractual / lease dispute.
- Handling the Queensland debt recovery portfolio for a wholly owned subsidiary of one of Australian’s largest companies.
- Acting for a number of large corporations in winding up proceedings.
Alternative dispute resolution
- Representing clients at settlement and directions conferences to achieve commercial resolutions to their disputes.
- Representing clients in the Financial Ombudsman Service.
- Extensive experience negotiating early resolution and settlements.
- ‘Managing the joint role of company secretary and corporate counsel’, Keeping good companies, December 2013 (credited as assistant author).