As an associate in our workplace relations and safety team, Chris provides advice and representation to a range of employer clients including private companies, various Queensland government departments, local governments and government owned corporations.
Chris has represented clients in unfair dismissal and general protections claims in the Fair Work Commission, as well as responding to applications for reinstatement in the Queensland Industrial Relations Commission. Chris is experienced in drafting and advising on contracts of employment and independent contractor agreements, interpretation of award and enterprise agreement conditions, anti-discrimination, termination of employment, performance management strategies and the management of ill and injured employees.
Before commencing his career in law, Chris gained over eight years’ experience in various state government human resource roles. This experience included the development and implementation of performance review systems, dispute and grievance resolution, managing sick and injured employees as well as managing employees with performance and absenteeism issues.
- Providing clients with advice in defending unfair dismissal and general protections claims, including the negotiation of mutually beneficial outcomes at conciliation conferences convened by the Fair Work Commission and the Queensland Industrial Relations Commission.
- Drafting independent contractor agreements and employment contracts, including contracts for senior executives of companies as well as local governments.
- Advising clients on the termination of employees, including where there are significant complexities involving unresolved allegations of bullying, harassment and discrimination.
- Conducting workplace investigations and drafting comprehensive investigation reports.
- Investigating allegations of inappropriate conduct or misconduct by councillors in local government, including providing advice and recommendations about disciplinary action or referral to the appropriate agency.
- Presenting at local government human resource conferences on termination of employment and applications for reinstatement.
- Bachelor of Laws – Queensland University of Technology
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice – Queensland University of Technology
- Solicitor – Supreme Court of Queensland and the High Court of Australia
- Member of:
- Queensland Law Society
- Industrial Relations Society of Queensland