Annie specialises in industrial, employment and anti-discrimination law. She has extensive experience dealing with proceedings in the Federal Court and Circuit Court, Fair Work Commission, Australian Human Rights Commission, Anti-Discrimination Commission, State Tribunals and Commissions, and more recently the Road Safety Remuneration Tribunal.
Annie has a strong background in industrial and employment litigation and has acted in a variety of litigated employment and industrial relations matters, including general protection claims, right of entry and other disputes, unlawful and unfair dismissal, breach of contract, misuse of confidential information, restraint of trade and anti-discrimination complaints.
Annie acts for a variety of transport and logistic operators providing front and back end strategic employment and industrial relations advice. Additionally, Annie acts for many clients in the non-State Schools sector and in the energy, mining, professional services and health industries, including large institutional companies, government sectors and government owned corporations, as well as small and medium size enterprises.
Annie has been recommended in Doyle’s 2015 and 2017 Guide list of leading Queensland employment lawyers.
- Bachelor of Laws – Griffith University
- Bachelor of Commerce – Griffith University
- Solicitor – Supreme Courts of Queensland, Victoria, High and Federal Courts of Australia
- Member – Industrial Relations Society of Queensland
- Member – Australian Labour Law Association
- Member and Committee Member – Australian & New Zealand Education Law Association
- Recommended in Doyle’s Guide 2015 and 2017 list of leading Queensland employment lawyers (employer representation)
Industrial relations/employment relations
- Providing front end strategic employment and industrial relations advice, drafting and negotiating enterprise agreements and defending dispute and other claims brought by the union and individual workers in the transport and logistics sector.
- Representing a large corporation in Federal Court proceedings concerning alleged adverse action under the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth), including defending interlocutory orders.
- Acting for a number of clients defending unfair dismissal applications before the AIRC, Fair Work Commission and the QIRC.
- Representing a client in Fair Work Australia in regard to majority support determinations, scope orders and disputes under the Enterprise Agreements.
- Advising on a number of Queensland public services matters, including industrial disputes, ill health retirement, anti-discrimination and disciplinary matters.
- Advising a Queensland GOC on a number of workplace incidents, including undertaking comprehensive workplace investigations, managing ill and injured employees, and employee discipline matters.
- Advising a variety of health professionals in regard to employment and registration matters.
- Assisting clients to make and have enterprise agreements, including through the approval stage at the Fair Work Commission.
- Acting for corporate clients in drafting employment contracts, conditions and executive service contracts and termination or redundancy arrangements, and providing advice on appointment processes; this includes drafting a CEO service agreement for a Queensland local authority.
- Advising a variety of non-state schools in Queensland about a variety of matters under the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth), including negotiating and making a new enterprise agreement, general protections and dismissal as well as anti-discrimination in education and the workplace.
- Representing a corporate client in the Federal Court concerning the protection of confidential information and enforce of restraint of trade provisions.
- Providing advice to many clients about performance management, termination and redundancy of executive and non-executive employees and ill and injured employees.
Transport and Logistics
- Providing industrial relations advice concerning union right of entry, enterprise agreements, including negotiating and making agreements and the application and interpretation of the Road Transport Awards.
- Defending general protections applications and interlocutory proceedings in the Federal Court and disputes lodged by the union before the Road Safety Remuneration Tribunal and Fair Work Commission.
- Assisting transport operators manage ill and injured drivers and other workers and advising about workers’ compensation.
- Assisting transport operators undertake disciplinary and performance management of staff and defending unfair dismissal and discrimination applications.
- Preparing and implementing workplace policies tailored for the transport industry, including fatigue management, random drug and alcohol testing, work health and safety & NHVR and driver codes of conduct.
- Preparing employment contracts and independent contractor agreements, advising about restraint of trade.
- Advising about the application of the Federal Independent Contractors Act 2006 and applicable State laws.
Education and regulatory
- Undertaking workplace incident investigations and preparing incident investigation reports.
- Assisting clients in the non-state school sector deal with student protection matters, parent committee disputes, parent complaints, teacher misconduct and anti-discrimination.
- Considering mandatory reporting obligations in education and other regulatory requirements, including Queensland College of Teacher matters.
- Providing compliance training to a client following a reportable incident.
- Presented at Legalwise employment law and workplace seminars from 2012 to 2016.
- Presenting at the Legalwise school law seminar series and employment law series in 2015.
- Presenting at the annual Schools Law and Regulation Conference 2016 TEN, Melbourne.
- Presented at the New IR Laws for HR Managers Conference in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2015.
- Presented at the 2014 Australia and New Zealand Law and Education Conference in Adelaide.
- ‘The Fair Work Amendment Bill 2014: A snapshot’, Governance Directions, Vol 67, February 2015, Governance Institute of Australia.
- ‘Major change to the definition of a worker in the Workers’ Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2003 (Qld)’, Australasian Legal Business, August 2013.
- Adverse Action, Employee Rights and Workplace Management, Paper and Presentation at the Australian Labour Law Association Conference, 2012, Canberra.
- ‘Extensions of Time for Unfair Dismissal Applications’, Employment Law Bulletin, July 2010.