We have a team that has worked with numerous not-for-profit organisations across a range of industries. Our team is passionate about the work we do with the not-for-profit sector and understands the issues that impact on those involved.
Cooper Grace Ward offers a diverse range of services to support the diversity of the sector.
Our work in this area encompasses more than 15 years’ advice to not-for-profit organisations including public benevolent institutions, health promotion charities, harm prevention charities, public museums, clubs established for the encouragement of sport and racing, art galleries, school building funds, private ancillary funds, income tax exempt funds and clubs operating under the principle of mutuality.
We can assist not-for-profit organisations with:
- advising on appropriate legal structure and preparing governing documents
- meeting requirements of legislation and procedure for applying for and obtaining various endorsements (including the ATO and AusAID)
- maintaining endorsements and registrations
- involvement in commercial activities
- tax treatment of income and gifts received
- GST compliance and availability of duty exemptions
- registration requirements to undertake fundraising and requirements for holding such events
- workplace relations law, salary packaging and matters relating to volunteers
- corporate governance, compliance with directors’ duties and the Corporations Act 2001
- tendering for government funding
- establishment of charitable trusts and bequest clauses in Wills
- property and leasing advice
- intellectual property advice and protection strategies
- litigation and dispute resolution.
To speak with a lawyer about a not-for-profit matter, call Cooper Grace Ward on (07) 3231 2444.