At Cooper Grace Ward, we understand the unique issues and specific challenges faced by the mining, energy and resources industry, having acted for many key stakeholders within these sectors.
We understand the demand on services, transport and other infrastructure required to deliver Australian resources to the world, from the initial stages of exploration, project development, operation and processing, through to marketing, sales and export.
Our team provides legal advice and solutions to mining and exploration companies, asset owners and operators, service providers, contractors, financiers, and wholesalers and retailers of petroleum and renewable fuels. We also have specific expertise in the electricity sector.
Our expertise in this area includes advising on corporate governance and compliance, risk management, litigation and regulatory issues, joint venture and supply agreements, intellectual property issues, taxation, property leases and workplace relations issues.
To contact a lawyer specialising in mining, energy and resources, call Cooper Grace Ward on (07) 3231 2444.
Our team provides legal advice and solutions for companies that service the energy and resources sector in services areas such as:
- contract mining and drilling
- transport and aviation
- equipment, technology services and supply
- labour hire
- engineering and manufacturing
- IT and technology
Through our professional advisers network, Cooper Grace Ward has developed strong relationships with local professionals such as accountants, financial planners and lawyers. We have established a strong presence in areas around regional centres such as Rockhampton, Gladstone, Emerald, Mackay, Bundaberg and Townsville.
Our major services in these areas include:
- mergers, acquisitions and sales/divestments
- commercial advice, including advice on all types of contracts and agreements
- taxation and GST advice particularly in relation to the establishing and reviewing business structures to achieve tax effective outcomes
- project structuring/banking & finance and taxation advice
- capital raisings and public offerings
- infrastructure agreements and advice
- estate planning and business structuring and restructuring
- workplace relations and safety advice, documentation and litigation
- litigation, dispute resolution and mediation
- property acquisition, leasing and sales
- planning and environment advice and appeals
- environmental incidents and offences.
Our key services and experience include:
- structuring business and asset development arrangements, including from a tax efficiency and risk management perspective
- business succession planning and personal asset structuring advice, including superannuation planning
- developing and documenting procurement programs and procurement risk management strategies
- advice on tender process and strategies
- documenting, negotiating and advising on all forms of construction, engineering, product and equipment supply, and services contracts prevalent in these sectors
- advising on infrastructure development and funding agreements
- advising on mine management contracts, including carbon tax price review clauses
- response and defence to investigations and prosecutions for alleged breaches of statutory duties
- conducting and advising on environmental audits, due diligence, impact assessments and compliance issues of proposed development
- referral and compliance advice in relation to the Environmental Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999
- tenements, planning and regulatory due diligence
- mergers, acquisitions and disposals of businesses in the energy and resources sector, primarily in the MME / growth part of the market
- advice on workplace health and safety compliance systems and undertaking comprehensive workplace investigations
- managing employee discipline matters
- advice on compliance with the Fair Work Act 2009, policy formulation and contracts of employment, and disputes with unions
- IP and information technology advice
- advice on new regulatory and commercial law developments and developing compliance and risk management responses (e.g. PPSA)
- advice on finance transactions and documentation
- advising on methods of dealing with relevant government authorities in relation to regulations governing the energy and resources sector.